This is a photo essay of a stock build for a Savage Axis using commonly available materials and tools. Now Bob is pretty darn good at wood working as it shows in his skill in the build BUT none of this is beyond many shooters/hobbyist. Some great tips and pics. Enjoy…
Orig post on CGN
I wanted a dedicated gun to shoot at targets, either from a bench at 100m or shooting long range in F-class type of shooting. I did not have a lot of budget for this project, so I decided to build from a Savage Axis gun. I found one used in 223 for 300$. Being a stockmaker it was a no-brainer to me that I wanted a new stock for it, because Axis stocks are a bit on the soft side. Also, I wanted to see if the Axis action could be used for a built. I think that there will be more and more of those around, so we might as well play with them a bit.
Since the Axis trigger guard is made of plastic and integral to the stock, I made my own using aluminium from the home center and a jig in plywood.
The recoil lug is in the stock on a Savage Axis, I checked and it is easily removed. More on that later.
The stock was made of russian birch plywood, laminated with exterior glue. I did not want a dedicated bench stock, with flat foreend to ride on bags. I enjoy shooting prone with a bipod, and I wanted a do-it-all kinda stock. I started with a wide blank, and after doing the barrel/action machining I routed a slot for the recoil lug. It fits tight.
Started the Inletting.
I needed longer action screws. I took 1/4-20 long bolts, cut the existing thread, and I re-threaded them to the proper thread (1/4-28 IIRC)
Next I worked on the trigger guard
Remember I told you that I wanted to ride front bags and use a bipod ? I installed an insert into the stock so that the front sling swivell will be easily removed so I don’t tear the bags at the range.
Then I shaped the exterior. I like the A5 shape, so I started from that.
Rough shape with a bandsaw
Then up with the grinder with 50 grit sandpaper for rapid (and messy) wood removal
Looks weird with the small barrel. Good news is that I found a barrel from a Savage model 12 VLP in a 1:7 twist. I’ll install that later in December.
Yesterday I did a small spacer out of alumium so I can feed it better single shot.
I also made myself a buttpad out of recycled tires mat. Remember, budget project ! I got the piece of mat for free, and I did not want to buy a buttpad for this project. Yeah I know, the 3 holes don’t quite align, but hey, it is made from tires !
This stuff is messy to work with, but it does not stick to the skin, it can be brushed away easily
Next is the finish. Maybe I’ll hunt coyotes and groundhog with it, and I wanted to try a green finish, so I got a “olive” stain and stained the stock
Next to a benchrest stock I’m making
I sprayed 3 coats of lacquer on it today, and I re-assembled the gun. Needless to say, it looks way better with that stock
So far I am at $615 for the project. $300 got me a used Axis, I got a scope on it for $120, the VLP barrel is $175, and $20 got me a set of used deluxe Lee reloading dies. The next thing I’ll add is a 20 MOA scope base. So it is safe to say that when all is done I will have a pretty good gun for less than $700. I’ll let you know how it shoots when the new barrel is installed.